28 April 2014

The Lodges of Central City


Two weeks ago, my family and I explored Central City, Blackhawk and surrounding areas in Gilpin County, Colorado. We had a great day, which included several cemeteries (you can read about the Masonic Cemetery here). As promised, this is a second post from that same trip, this time highlighting the many Lodge buildings still standing in Central City.


One thing I have definitely learned when exploring these communities and looking for signs of fraternal life is to look UP. So many of the buildings are now used as store fronts, restaurants and art galleries, often the only sign left is the markings on the side of the building. In this case, it was also important to look down, as the town had set signs around explaining the various buildings.


All photos ©Jen Baldwin, 2014.




B.P.O. Elks, Lodge NO. 557




B.P.O. Elks Lodge No. 557


Front door to the B.P.O.E. The building appears to currently be vacant.


Historic marker sign for the Masonic Lodge



Masonic Lodge

Masonic Lodge - the tallest building, tan.

Look up! The information I want is right there in the window.
Masonic Hall est. 1864.


A.O.U.W. painted advertisement on the side.
I missed this the first time from street level, it wasn't until I crossed the street that I saw it.


A.O.U.W. building in its entirety.


Front of the A.O.U.W. building.


Insignia built into the front of the A.O.U.W. building.


Historical marker on street level.


I.O.O.F. Building. Again, look up! I missed this from one side of the street,
identified it when we crossed to the other side.


I.O.O.F. full facade.


Brick Knights of Pythias building is the left structure.


Seemingly empty, the KofP building in Central City, Colorado. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts!