17 June 2013

We Lost One

During the summer months, I am pleased to serve as a tour guide for the Breckenridge Heritage Alliance. We offer historical tours of town, mining sites, museums, and my personal favorite and area of expertise, the Valley Brook Cemetery.

From the day we moved here, I have loved Valley Brook. It is peaceful, beautiful and at the same time, alive with history and stories of our past. Here you will find many of the Breckenridge "great's", like Edwin Carter, Robert Foote, and the Detweiler family. You will find hundreds, however, whose stories have yet to be told. I am working to change that; trying to tell their stories, one person at a time. You have seen some of those stories here, on this blog.

This past weekend I was scheduled to conduct the Tombstone Tales at Twilight Tour on both Friday and Sunday. I had been in the cemetery more than once in the past few days, and had already conducted the tour a couple of times this spring, so I was more than prepared for the anticipated busy weekend. Breckenridge celebrated our "Kingdom Days" event over Saturday and Sunday, and our tours are typically at capacity while residents and tourists alike submerge themselves in the history of our community.

Two of my favorite people to talk about while we explore the vast grounds are the last two: Bertha Welch and Robert "Bob" Lott. I've talked about Bob before, so we'll leave that be. This post is about Bertha.



© Jen Baldwin, Ancestral Journeys
2011-2013

It is a wooden marker, with a significant crack down the middle.

"Bertha Welch, Born Jan 9 1883, Died Feb 12 1903."

Her death was recorded in the local newspaper, telling a sad story of a young bride, neglected and physically abused by her husband, who finally abandoned her while pregnant. She gave birth to a little boy, who at the time of publishing at least, had survived. Bertha, however, passed within days of the delivery, and was buried far from her family in California. A tragic ending to a tragic story.

 I know, without any doubt, that the marker was in its proper place at the head of Bertha's grave on 7 June 2013. I know, without any doubt, that the marker was discovered missing on 14 June 2013, just one week later. Sadly, this was the last remaining wooden marker in Valley Brook Cemetery that you could still read. As far as I am aware, the marker sat undisturbed for 110 years. And now its gone.

It saddens me, to the very depths, that this poor woman; young and alone in death, will now sit unmarked and forgotten by most in her final resting place. I am one that will never forget.


If you have any information on the whereabouts of Bertha Welch's wooden grave marker, please contact the Breckenridge Heritage Alliance. 

970-453-9767
Facebook
info@breckheritage.com

17 comments:

  1. Jen, how sad to read that! While another marker can possibly be made, that one represents part of the community's heritage. I certainly hope someone thinks twice and the marker finds its way back to its rightful place.

    What a service you are providing to tell the story of your town's heritage. You are a gem of your community's heritage, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacqi. I normally enjoy the tours a great deal, but have to admit, Friday's discovery was shocking, to say the least. Thankfully, I had a small group, and they were very understanding (my passion for the cemetery is readily on display, and I usually have a good rapport with folks by the time we get to Bertha.)
      I sincerely hope it finds its way back to its rightful place.
      ~ Jen

      Delete
  2. How sad! Why would someone take a grave marker? I just don't get it. Have the local news outlets been made aware of this yet? Hopefully so and someone will return the marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, you took the words right out of my mouth. What do you do with something like this? It's not exactly a piece you can hang in your living room.
      The media... because I was in an "official capacity" when the marker was discovered missing, we are going through "official" channels to handle this. Which essentially means there are numerous people to talk to before the next step can be taken. A police report has been filed, so I'm hoping to hear back today if I can submit this to the media. I have a go-ahead from 1, need 1 more.
      Thanks, as always,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Jen,

      I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/06/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-june-21-2013.html

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. This is heartbreaking! I sure hope someone comes to their senses and returns this marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, yes, it is. I hope so as well. Thanks for reading, and for commenting. It is nice to see this situation affects so many more than just myself.
      Jen

      Delete
  4. I hope to hear that it has been recovered, Jen. What a shock that must have been to find it missing! Hmmmm - I'll bet some high school students know 'something' about this... wonder if there's anything on Twitter etc. Hopefully it's found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celia. I actually did search Twitter a bit, with no success. Maybe the kids here are still on MySpace? Hoping to report good news soon, one way or the other. Thanks for the support, Jen

      Delete
  5. How awful, Jen, that someone would take this precious marker from the cemetery. I am guessing that is what has happened. It is a melancholy but beautiful marker for a tragic story. How could anyone be so callous as to disturb it!?

    Breckenridge is lucky to have you, as you must realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mariann. It is hard to imagine someone intentionally disturbing her forever slumber, but yes, I would agree someone must have taken it. I hope it is recovered or a replacement can be made soon. ~ Jen

      Delete
  6. I do not know if there is any relation, but my grandmother was named Bertha Welch. She was born in Arkansas to husband/wife Cleve Welch and Mary Lewis, then died in 2006 and is buried in Benton AR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really couldn't say. Welch was her married name, of course, and I'm not yet sure what her maiden name was. If you think there is a possible connection, would you share back to this time frame? Who were Cleve's parents? Thanks for reading, and thanks for commenting. ~ Jen

      Delete
  7. What kind of people would steal a wooden grave marker? Makes me crazy to ponder it. I hope to read an update one day that the marker has been returned.

    Thank-you for your service to the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope to write that article some day, Wendy! Thanks for the support; just by reading you are proving how important this is. My appreciation, Jen

      Delete
  8. This makes me sad and angry. I will help spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The more attention we can put on this, the better our chances at recovery. I really appreciate it. ~ Jen

      Delete

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts!