05 March 2012

Maybelle Humphries


Last week, I posted about several unknown photos I found in my families archives. They all seemed to be related to Orting High School in Orting, Pierce County, Washington. Today, I was able to find the names of two of the unidentified, and Maybelle was one of them.

A quick online search through Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org and the Washington State Digital Archives reveals the following information: Maybelle Jenette Humphries, daughter of George and Hazel (Kirk) Humphries. She was born 16 Oct 1917 in Pierce County, and appeared to be living in Puyallup in the 1930 census with her parents, sister Marylin and brother Dickie. She was the Class Treasurer for the class of 1936 in Orting. George Humphries was born in Kansas and was listed as a barber. Hazel was born in Washington State.

From the two death records listed by the Washington State Archives, I would guess that George is George Hiram Humphries, who died 29 Mar 1959 at the age of 79, making his birth date (calculated) about 1880. This George died in Yakima, Yakima County, Washington, and they also have a listing of him being buried in the Tahoma Cemetery in Yakima.  There were no listed documents for Hazel Kirk or Hazel Humphries in the archives, however, FamilySearch.org's death record for George listed him as a widow, so Hazel must have died before Mar 1929.

My ultimate goal is to return the photo I have of Maybelle to her family. Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts!