18 July 2013

Headed South

The first weekend of August will bring another first for me in the world of genealogy: I will be presenting at the Colorado Springs Family History Expo. Held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Colorado Springs, the roughly two and half hour drive south of my current location should bring me some exciting moments.

First, and most obviously, I am excited to be presenting my session on "Blogging: Telling the Stories Behind Your Research." The piece I love about this prezy is that it really serves as an eye opener to many attendees; they link of a blog as a confusing, somewhat overwhelming thing to do. When you really break it down, however, and define it in personal terms, it becomes a much more approachable idea. I hope that somebody comes to hear about it. This is the first time I will be presenting in a setting where attendees have options of which session to go to; and I'm a little concerned no one will want to listen to me! It does fit in nicely however with this year's theme, "Top 10 Techniques for Fishing for Ancestors & Other Persons of Interest."

Secondly, I will finally be able to meet some of my "local" Colorado friends that I know well from Facebook and Twitter, but have never actually met in person. There are a few people on that list, and some of us have tried - and failed - to meet at other events. Somehow, it just has not worked out. This time, however, will be different, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity.

Lastly, the chance to attend a more regionally focused event like this one will be good for me. I've seen small workshops (up to maybe 50 people or so), and I've seen large events such as the National Genealogical Society Annual Conference, held this past May in Las Vegas. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens "in the middle."

If you happen to be in the area, please join us! And if you join us, please say hi if you see me! And if you say hi, please do so after you've attended my session! (Just kidding; you can say hi anytime...)

You can get all the information you need by visiting the Family History Expos website.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts!