03 January 2013

My Three Words for 2013: C x 3


snow, trees, mountain, forest, Rocky Mountains, Colorado, Breckenridge, Ancestral Journeys, genealogy, new ground, 2013, business goals, motivation, Jen Baldwin
2013: Exploring new, fresh territory.
© Ancestral Journeys, 2012-2013
I follow many people and all sorts of businesses on Twitter, Facebook, etc. One of the best discoveries I made in 2012 on social media was Chris Brogan, and his community, Human Business Works. He is well known, but new to me, and I have learned quite a bit from his blog, etc.

On 1 Jan 2013, he posted “My 3 Words for 2013”. This is a reoccurring post for him,  but it’s my first time. As I have spent a great deal of time in the last week reading about 2013 goals from other geneabloggers, and debating what my take on that would be, I found this concept to be very refreshing, meaningful and most importantly, manageable for me.

So, inspired, here are my three words.

Clarification: In my business plan. In my writing. In establishing myself, and my role, in my field. In my overall goals, not just in business, but as a person.

Collaboration: 2013 has started with the launch of a new project, a genealogy Twitter chat: #genchat,  that I am co-hosting with the amazing Stephanie Pitcher Fishman and Terri O’Connell. I continue to write a monthly series for The In-Depth Genealogist, which is one big collaboration in and of itself. I would like to find ways to continue this trend of working with others. Conference Keeper continues to expand and grow, with contributions from genealogists around the world. I would love to find more of these kinds of projects, perhaps guest blog some, and create new and interesting ways to incorporate my own research with the mission’s of the local societies'.



Courage: To reach out and grab what I want from life; to stand up to other’s that look down upon me; to yell out to the world, “I'm good at this!”. Courage. It goes hand in hand with confidence, and all that is growing inside me, it needs a little more attention to fully blossom. After my first year in the professional world, it's time for me to stop "getting my feet wet" and start making a difference, an impact. 

I am incredibly excited for the opportunities coming to me in 2013. I feel absolutely blessed to be in this field, to be able to turn a passion into a business, to share that passion with others. I am determined to reach out and grab what I want, instead of letting life take me where it will.

If you wish to collaborate on any projects stirring in your imagination, send me an email, huh? I would love to hear from you.

All my best for an amazing 2013,
~Jen


Tanner, my office buddy, an I are ready for an amazing 2013!
All rested and ready to go!
© Ancestral Journeys 2012

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What an inspiration you are.

    Regards, Teresa Costa Fraser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much. I can't take all the credit, though, Chris Brogan certainly deserves some.
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Have a great day, Teresa. ~ Jen

      Delete
  2. Fabulous three words, Jen! Thanks so much for posting, and encouraging more of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celia. My chant for 2013 is certainly based on this, and its a theme you will probably see a lot of from me this year. I actually posted the words on my office wall above my computer, too! Thank you for reading, and for commenting. Have a great day! ~ Jen

      Delete
  3. Well you inspired me! My post is scheduled for I think tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Julie! I think this is a much easier format to keep me on track during the year than a long, involved list of goals. I still have that, but they are built around these three words. I love it! Good luck with your three!
      Thanks for reading, and thanks for commenting. ~ Jen

      Delete
  4. I think you are totally in a blossoming stage! Not that I'm any kind of expert on genealogy, but I have seen your writing and your projects become more ambitious and outgoing in just the time (less than a year) that I've been on Twitter. You are developing a strong and recognizable voice. Good for you! I think you are moving in a great direction. Clarification, collaboration, courage. Go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Thank you, Mariann! You are such a great cheer leader, and I truly appreciate it. I'm looking forward to 2013, I think it has big things in store for me. For all of us, really. As always, thanks for commenting. ~ Jen

      Delete
  5. Still one of my favorite "Resolution" posts. Fantastic words, Jen. I can't wait to see what 2013 brings you. ~ Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerful and beautifully written!

    I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who enjoys the world according to Chris Brogan -- LOL! I'm glad that you discovered him last year. I've been a fan of his writing and works for 3 years. So I have seen him grow into the positive and very personable heavy hitter he is today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts!